Pages

New tool for using Google Sheets on your smartphone or tablet

Google have announced new apps for several components of their Drive software, including Google Sheets.

Screenshot of the new Google Sheets app for Android

They say this makes it possible to create content on the go - but even with a very new smartphone, I'm finding it hard to imagine making a spreadsheet of any size.    It just feels weird to have the formula-bar at the bottom of the screen.

And I've had some "interesting" experiences browsing a spreadsheet created in the desktop version which records the responses to a questionnaire created in Google Forms, which has a lot of long text-fields:   it's easy to hide a column by accident, and without a shift-key I'm not sure how to make visible again.

But overall I like the idea, especially the way that I can effectively use Sheets as a calculator app which lets me see and easily change my on-the-go calculations.    And I can imagine that it could be a handy way to build some highly targeted "mini-apps" to do particular calculations in a spreadsheet, without the overhead of installing a separate app.


The Sheets app vs the Drive app

This comment from Google sums up the difference - bolding mine:
use the Drive app to view and organize all of your documents, spreadsheets, presentations, photos and more.
And by implication, use the Sheets, (and Docs, and when it arrives Slides) app to change (ie edit) your spreadsheets et al.

No comments:

Post a Comment